Monday, December 15, 2014

Exhibit Review Justin Quinn


The Meaning of Everything, Is Nothing?

            Justin Quinn’s exhibit was located in the Jot Travis Building, entitled, Not Everything Means Something, located at the University of Nevada, Reno. The exhibit was clearly organized and made it easy to focus on the work of Quinn without clouding the viewer’s mind, followed by other Dada works by other artists. Upon walking into the exhibit one is met with a wall that is covered immensely with nonsensical framed photocopies.
            These works are entitled as, Moby Dick volume 1 or 384,439 times E, and, Moby Dick volume 2 or 174,649 times E. The title of the piece has one looking for Moby Dick, only to question if it is even relevant. This is the piece I was most drawn to. However nonsensical the piece may seem, it is captivating and makes it’s audience want to return to it. One either returns because it is visually unique and attractive or because it makes one ponder its significance as mankind does. I returned out of curiosity, although I can’t say I necessarily enjoyed this work personally, I want more from it visually.

            Quinn’s work unquestionably takes the form of the art movement Dada. Dada is one of the hardest art movements to define, and although Dada had taken off in the early 1900’s, Quinn proves that it is a timeless movement. Dada cannot be contained to just one time period, as well as it cannot necessarily be defined. And although the thought of a somewhat undefinable art period may be frustrating, it also undeniably intriguing. I like the overall idea of his work and how it makes me think, however I am not a huge fan of it in a visual sense. It bores me and I wish there was more going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment