Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Curating My Work, and My Plus 1


 
 
For this project the class had to come together to create a show. The theme chosen was a monochrome color show. It was to be filled with artwork from around the Reno area, inviting any artist to participate. Our class would then approve the pieces to make sure they fit into the chosen monochrome theme. However, there had been little to no submissions, perhaps because the theme may have been difficult or perhaps because of marketing challenges. Our class then chose to submit our own work, as well as have everyone find at least one other person's work to submit as well. I submitted 3 paintings for a triptych, each were as close to monochrome as I could comfortably achieve, and each consisted of one color. My plus one was from my roommate who likes to paint, and I had seen her painting a blue eye the night before. I asked if she could make it monochrome, all shades of blue, which she did, however I wish I had specified and clarified all in the same tone of blue. Then again, upon seeing all the submissions both my pieces as well as my plus one fit right in because we opened up the parameters a bit. We then installed the show, and had a one night showing. We worked together to hang the pieces properly in a gallery style. Although here and there, there had been issues in communication and not everyone was on the same page, in the end the show looked better than I thought it would and I enjoyed it. My favorite part was a students interactive piece in which she wore all white and you could paint on her. I learned that putting together a show takes a lot of time and that it is important to try and find a common goal in every aspect of the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment